INSPIRING FUTURES

Do people grow on trees? Guidance for employers in the Scottish forest and timber industries.

Bond, Sue, Thomson, Emily, MacPherson, Suzi and Ridley-Ellis, Daniel (2008) Do people grow on trees? Guidance for employers in the Scottish forest and timber industries. Project Report. Napier University, Edinburgh, Scotland.

[img]
Preview
PDF
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution No Derivatives.

Download (552kB) | Preview

    Abstract/Description

    The final report for the Forest Industries Recruitment and Retention (FIRRS) project.

    Forests and their products are hugely important to the economic and environmental sustainability of Scotland’s economy and influence many aspects of Scottish society. However, the forest and timber industries in Scotland face significant problems in workforce recruitment and associated skills shortages. These challenges will become more acute as the population ages and the aspirations of workers continue to change.

    This guidance document highlights the challenges facing the forest and timber industries and provides advice on how these can be overcome in order for the sector to remain competitive in the future.

    The FIRRS project was supported by the European Social Fund under Priority 5 ‘Addressing Gender Imbalance’ which provided 45% of the total budget. The other 55% was provided as cash and in-kind contribution of time from Napier University and partnering organisations including the Scottish Forestry Trust and ConstructionSkills Scotland.

    Item Type: Monograph (Project Report)
    Related URLs:
    Uncontrolled Keywords: Gender; Forestry; Timber; Employment; Equal opportunities; Women; Sawmilling;
    University Divisions/Research Centres: Faculty of Engineering, Computing and Creative Industries > School of Engineering and the Built Environment
    Dewey Decimal Subjects: 300 Social sciences > 350 Public administration & military science
    500 Science > 580 Plants (Botany) > 582 Plants noted for characteristics & flowers > 582.16 Trees
    600 Technology > 630 Agriculture > > 634.9 Forestry
    Library of Congress Subjects: H Social Sciences > HD Industries. Land use. Labor
    S Agriculture > SD Forestry
    Item ID: 2456
    Depositing User: Dr. Daniel Ridley-Ellis
    Date Deposited: 18 Dec 2008 16:45
    Last Modified: 08 Apr 2011 11:17
    URI: http://researchrepository.napier.ac.uk/id/eprint/2456

    Actions (login required)

    View Item

    Document Downloads

    More statistics for this item...

    Edinburgh Napier University is a registered Scottish charity. Registration number SC018373